Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hand's On: Millican

I don't go crazy over bags like a lot of my style brethren, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well made, functional carry-all made by some good folks.  Until recently Millican, an England based lifestyle brand, was admittedly off my radar, but I am very thankful they reached out to me.  This "style circle" many of us function in can be so dynamic at times that the very best brands often slip through the cracks unnoticed - I try and do my very best to stay informed, but it is impossible to keep tabs on everything.

Millican is one of those brands that knows exactly what it wants to be and I respect the hell out of that.  With these guys there is no wavering, no trends - just doing what they love and producing real stuff.  For the unitiated, let them break it down:

"We’re a travel and outdoor lifestyle brand for eco-friendly travellers and curiously deep thinkers. You know, the type of people who like the fact that we’ve pumped a lot of thought into every bit of organic fabric for our rucksacks, every strip of vegetable tanned leather for our wallets, every piece of recycled polyester for our travel bags. Like us, they’ve always got one eye on the planet and the other down a path into the woods."

Now that is a mission statement I can get behind.  See, the beauty of Millican extends beyond their bags.  It really is about the journey and the process - a journey and process that are evolving organically.  "We don’t pretend to be perfect. Sometimes, we fail, but we keep trying."  If only all brands were that honest up front I would probably spend more of my hard earned money.  Don't get it twisted, however, as they're isn't anything failing as far as I can tell.

With introductions out of the way, let's get down to the nitty gritty...the gear.  Everything that goes into Millican's bags is the real deal.  Organic weatherproof canvas, organic cotton lining and vegetable tanned leather are the building blocks to their entire collection.  The bags are sturdy, functional and look flat out fantastic.  In the same vein as everything I hold near and dear to my heart, Millican's bags are classic, understated and wholly masculine.  I was lucky enough to get my hands on a sample of the Steward courier bag and I couldn't be more pleased.  It's big enough for that weekend jaunt and not to cumbersome for my commute.  Add in its unique closure system and utility roll-top and you have my new go to right there.  Without a doubt in my mind I can say that my bag search has ended before it even got started and for that I thank the fine folks at Millican.  Give their gear a serious browse when you get the chance and you just might be saying the same thing.


-L.A.S

3 comments:

  1. "Millican's bags are classic, understated and wholly masculine."

    They are, indeed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is yours that greyish one? I visited their site (love the bags, btw) and didn't see that color available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave - jorrit@millican here.

    Yes, the bag shown is the darker of the 2 colours - we call it Slate Green.

    This colour is proving a bit of a chameleon colour, especially combined with different screen resolutions and mixing outdoor with indoor photography!

    Hope that helps - let me know if I can help with anything else.

    ReplyDelete